Water, The Fuel of Life
Water makes up more than 60% of our bodies and a whopping 70% of our brain. Bearing this in mind, it is not hard to imagine the vital role it plays in the preservation of our mind, body and soul. Here are a few key facts about water and how it benefits our training goals.
- Weight regulation - The importance of hydration can be seen in the fact that water is a very effective hunger suppressant. In fact, it sits right at the peak of the list! The brain does not possess the ability to differentiate between water and hunger. So when you think you are hungry, you might actually just be thirsty instead! If you don’t drink the right amount of water you may be tricked to think its food you’re craving and that’s how the calories start loading up!
- Body cleansing - Another benefit of hydration is that when you keep your body hydrated, the water helps flush out all the unwanted pollutants and toxins from the body. If your body does not possess a sufficient amount of water, the heart will have to bear more strain when pumping oxygenated blood to the heart and the other organs.
- Headache prevention - Dehydration is one of if not the most common reason for the onset of headaches. As stated earlier, the brain is primarily 70% water and needs this amount to function properly. This means it is essential to keep hydrated at all times and not make the grave mistake of only drinking water when you feel thirsty!
- Digestive health - Water and fiber go hand in hand when it comes to ensuring healthy bowel movements. This culminates into yet another benefit of hydration as water helps raise the metabolism and aids digestion.
- Builds immunity - Water is an effective agent helping fight against free radical damage. A plentiful intake of water can help prevent flues, the cold, kidney stones and even heart attacks. This is one major benefit of hydration.
- Healthy skin - Water is an essential agent in keeping your skin moisturized, increasing skin elasticity and replenishing skin tissues. All of these important functions can only be fulfilled if the skin is hydrated. Water is your call to hydration!